Meal plans are great options for anyone who has a busy lifestyle and still wants to cook healthy, gourmet meals. While there are some people who know how to prepare dozens of fancy vegan meals, that’s not the case for everyone. But with meal kit delivery services, every vegan can eat fabulous meals. To learn about vegan options for the best meal kit delivery services, read on!
Are Meal Delivery Kits Suitable for Vegan Diets?
If you follow the vegan lifestyle for any length of time, you know that eating a vegan diet is not easy. With nearly all meals, you need to come up with creative alternatives and substitutions. So, you probably won’t be surprised to hear that most meal kits will require the same effort.
However, the variety of meals and unique recipes that many meal plans provide should make you excited about choosing a meal kit delivery plan. Sure, you could research each week to find new recipes to spice up your meal routine, but wouldn’t it be easier to have new recipes arrive at your door?
Additionally, many meal kit services are devoted to being environmentally friendly and help their users cut down on food waste. Because each meal comes with the exact ingredients, you’ll find that you throw away much less food each week; if you throw away any food at all, that is.
With a meal kit delivery service, you’ll have everything you need to eat a healthy vegan diet. Plus, you’ll discover a few great recipes along the way. Even if you will need to make some substitutions, choosing a meal plan will be well worth it for your vegan lifestyle.
How Can I Customize My Meal Kit for a Vegan Diet?
On top of offering vegetable-based meals, many meal kit delivery services allow their customers to customize their meal plans. So, you will definitely have the option to customize your plan to a vegan (or mostly vegan) diet.
For a vegan diet, your first step should be to choose a vegetarian plan if there isn’t a separate vegan meal plan. That way, you will at least be guaranteed to not get any meat in your meals. After you’ve selected your diet, you’ll have the option to opt-out of certain foods.
If after all that you still receive ingredients that aren’t vegan-friendly, you can easily substitute the way you would for any other meal. While it may cost a little extra to use substitutions, these ingredients should be ones that you can have on hand at all times and can be used for a variety of meals.
Some common ingredient substitutions include:
- Almond or cashew milk in place of dairy-based milk
- Soy-based vegan cheese for dairy cheese
- Applesauce or crumbled tofu for eggs
- Sunflower oil or olive oil for butter
- Beet sugar, fructose, or date sugar for sugar
If there is a vegan substitute you need, the internet will have it. If there is something in your recipes that you aren’t sure how to substitute, you will find exactly what you need online.
- 50+ Weekly Recipes Including Carb-conscious, Vegetarian and More
- Meal prep option - cook once for 8 servings!
- Get started for as little as $3.24/serving
- No commitment needed - skip or cancel anytime
- Voted #1 Meal Prep Kit by USA TODAY readers 2022
- Up to 25% cheaper than groceries
- 30+ weekly options & 70+ convenience items -including calorie smart, low-carb, veggie & more
- No commitment, skip or cancel anytime
- Choose From 30+ Recipes Weekly + No Prep, No Clean Up Options
- Including oven ready, low carb & gluten free options
- All-in-one meal kits ready in minutes; as low as $3.75/serving!
- No commitment, skip or cancel at anytime
- 32 Meal Options Weekly - Keto, Calorie Smart, Vegan + Veggie, Protein Plus and More.
- Fresh, never frozen ingredients - Heat and Eat in 2 min
- Chef-prepared meals - Cheaper than takeout
- Pause, cancel or skip a week anytime
Choose The Best Meal Delivery Services
With Paleo, plant-powered, Keto, and balanced living diets, Green Chef has a meal plan for nearly every diet. As a meal kit delivery service that’s committed to using organic and non-GMO foods, this meal service is one to look into if you’re following a vegan diet.
Each meal plan serves 2 to 4 people, so it’s a great option for couples and families alike. All their ingredients are guaranteed to have no additives or chemicals, so with Green Chef you can rest easy knowing you’re eating only the best ingredients.
Is Green Chef Vegan?
Unlike many other meal delivery services, Green Chef does offer vegan meal plans. So, if you’re a vegan looking for an easy meal plan that will take little to no planning on your part, then Green Chef is the meal plan for you.
If you look on their website at their weekly menu, you’ll see several vegan options. For example, some of the recipes that have been on their menu include:
- Porcini Mashed Potatoes
- Tuscan White Bean and Chard Soup
- Harissa Tofu Couscous Bowls
- Maple-Mustard Sweet Potato Bowls
With this meal service, there are not substitutions required. For every meal, you can simply prepare the dish exactly as directed and you won’t have to worry about making sure your ingredients are vegan-friendly.
- Easy Way to Eat Keto, Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free or Pescatarian
- Easy way to follow a healthy lifestyle
- More meal choices for any lifestyle (i.e. keto, paleo, vegan, etc.) compared to our competitors
Blue Apron is another great option for meal kit delivery services. Because of its numerous weekly options, diverse diet plans, and budget friendly prices, consumers can’t go wrong with Blue Apron. Blue Apron does offer a vegetarian meal plan, but not a plan specifically for vegans.
Also, Blue Apron recently partnered with Beyond Meat, so they will soon be offering meals that incorporate this increasingly popular meat-substitute to their meals.
Is Blue Apron Vegan Friendly?
Even though they do not have a specific option for a vegan meal plan, Blue Apron is vegan friendly. Blue Apron offers a vegetarian meal plan that feeds two people, so it’s perfect for couples who choose vegan diets or an individual who wants leftovers.
Similar to Hello Fresh, you can opt to not receive certain ingredients and forgo other ingredients if they don’t fit into your diet or preferences. So even though Blue Apron offers only a vegetarian option, you can still customize it to vegan preferences.
With Blue Apron, you can get cooking some fantastic meals that will divert from your daily routine (in a good way). Some examples of Blue Apron meal options include:
- Baked Tofu with Creamy Tomato Curry
- Mushroom Mazeman With Bok Choy
- Butternut Squash Enchiladas with a Honey Chipotle Sauce
- Curried Cauliflower with Brown Rice and Cilantro-Yoghurt Sauce
If any of the above meals have non-vegan ingredients, you can substitute with vegan friendly options such as maple syrup in place of honey or coconut yogurt in place of milk-based yogurt.
- 23 Weekly Recipes including Carb-conscious, Vegetarian and more
- Meal Prep option - Cook once for 8 servings!
- No commitment needed - skip or cancel anytime
Hello Fresh is at the top of our list because of its vast menu options (over 20 each week), fresh ingredients, and no subscription commitment. It also helps that Hello Fresh has been voted as America’s number one meal kit delivery service. Hello Fresh offers several different meal plan options, including the Veggie Plan, Family Plan, and Quick and Easy Plan.
While Hello Fresh doesn’t offer a specific plan for vegan diets, it does allow customers to customize their plans. Hello Fresh can be vegan-friendly with the right options selected.
Does Hello Fresh Offer Vegan Meals?
Hello Fresh does not have a specific plan for vegan diets, however, it does offer a Veggie Plan that can easily be tailored to a vegan diet. The Veggie Plan revolves around a plant-based diet but does include nonmeat animal products such as milk, butter, honey, eggs, and cheese, so there are some ingredients that do not fit within a vegan diet.
However, when you customize your weekly meals, you can choose to not include certain ingredients. If you forget to customize the ingredients in your cart, you’ll still be able to prepare these meals to suit your dietary needs because the ingredients are packaged separately.
So, it shouldn’t be a problem to remove the dairy and other products from the vegetarian meals. Additionally, if you want to substitute soy-based dairy products in place of dairy products, your meal can be prepared similarly to the directions provided.
On Hello Fresh you can choose from fun weekly meal options, such as:
- Spiced Chickpea Fritters with Greek Salad, Pita and Garlicky White Sauce
- Middle Eastern Chickpea Bowls with Pistachio Rice and Garlicky White Sauce
- Gnocchi with Spinach & Tomatoes Topped with Garlic Butter Breadcrumbs
- Rainbow Thai Noodle Toss with Edamame, Chili Sauce, Peanuts and Cilantro
Hello Fresh takes pride in its unique weekly options, and any of the above meals can be made with vegan ingredients.
- Being the most popular meal kit in America
- No-commitment subscription that you can skip or cancel anytime
- 20+ recipes to choose from every week
- Meals that you can cook in 30 minutes or less
Home Chef is one of the most competitive services in the meal delivery department. In fact, they delivered more than 10 million meals in the last year, so that has to say something about their service. Home Chef offers a variety of meal plan options that can be delivered right to your door.
They offer several meal plans including vegetarian, low-calorie, and standard options. Many meals come pre-prepared so that your meal preparation and clean up take little to no time at all.
Does Home Chef Offer Vegan Meals?
Home Chef does not have a specific vegan meal plan, but it does allow for customization. When you first begin the ordering process, you immediately enter your dietary preferences and choose to remove certain ingredients, such as red meat, shellfish, dairy, pork, mushrooms, and nuts. From there, you’re taken through the check out and meal selection pages.
Along with selecting your dietary preferences, you can choose to customize each meal by removing all meat or substituting Impossible Burger. So, Home Chef does have rather decent vegan options.
However, because some of Home Chef’s meals are pre-prepared, there isn’t much room for making vegan substitutions. That being said, you’ll have to be careful when choosing and customizing your meals if you get your meal kit from Home Chef.
Some meal options with Home Chef include:
- Gnocchi with Red Pepper Cream
- Black Bean and Corn Burger with Chipotle Aioli
- Waldorf Salad with Apples and Dried Cranberries
- Teriyaki Impossible Burger with Peanuts and Cilantro
- Dozens of Weekly Options Including Oven Ready
- No Contact Delivery To Your Door
- Up to 30 Weekly Meals + No Prep, No Clean Up Options
- No Commitment, Skip or Cancel at Anytime
Dinnerly’s goal is to be as affordable as possible, so their meals will have digital recipe cards and only 6 ingredients for every meal. Not only does this allow them to be budget-friendly, but it makes meal preparation easy as well. With Dinnerly, you won’t break the bank but will still eat healthy and fun meals.
Dinnerly also cares about the amount of waste they produce. When you get your box, all your ingredients will be in one container. Most meal delivery services package their meals in separate boxes, so by having all your meals in the same box, you cut down on a lot of waste.
Does Dinnerly Have Vegan Options?
Dinnerly does have vegan options on their weekly menu, so you can choose their delivery service and still adhere to your vegan diet. However, there are only 14 meals available each week and only a select few have vegan options.
This meal plan is meant for you to do the cooking, so each ingredient is packaged separately. That means you can choose to avoid or add the ingredients that you prefer. For each meal, you can substitute vegan products for certain ingredients in a recipe.
When you choose Dinnerly as your meal kit delivery service, you may see recipes like:
- Sesame Tofu with Steamed Rye and Broccoli
- Cheesy Veggie Melts with Apples Slices (substitute vegan cheese)
- Roasted Chickpea Gyro with Chopped Salad & Garlic Yogurt (substitute vegan yoghurt)
- Mustard-Maple Quinoa, Chickpea & Kale Bowl
As you can see above, you can always make substitutes in your meals to make sure they follow a vegan diet.
- Cheapest meal kit in the market!
- 14 new recipes every week!
- 5 steps per dish, super fast recipes!
If you’re looking for a meal plan that adheres to a vegan diet, you have many options to choose from. Even if the meal kits aren’t made specifically for vegan diets, you can customize the plans so that they have only vegan ingredients. So, no matter what your dietary preference is, you can find a meal plan to match.